Friday, July 25, 2008

Prayers at bed-time



Sri Ranganathar



Bed-time prayers:


Night-fall



kshIra sAgara taraN^ga shIkarA.
sAra tArakita chAru mUrtaye
bhogi bhoga shayanIya shAyine
mAdhavAya madhu vidviShe namaH



Madhava! Lord of Sri Devi, resting on the bed of
the serpent Adisesha in the milky ocean
(like Sri Ranganathan in Sri Rangam),
sprayed with drops from the ocean's waves
shining like stars in the sky, adorning you,
Madhusudana! the killer of the demon Madhu,
to You I offer my salutations.




anyatha sharanam naasthi,
thvameva sharanam mama
tasmaath kaarunya-bhavena
raksha, raksha Janardhana


No other support have I,
except thou to whom I surrender;
therefore, have compassion upon me
O Janardhana! save me, save me.

raamaskandham hanumantam
vainateyam vrukodaram
Shayane yassmaren nityam
dussvapanam tasya nashyati


Hanuman the one with strong, red shoulders,
Garuda, son of Vinati, - Lord Vishnu's Vaahanam,
Bhima - the mighty Pandava with a voracious appetite,
whoever remembers these valiant persons daily at bed-time,
his/her bad dreams shall be destroyed.



Arunodayam - Sun-rise



"Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray dear Lord my soul you'll keep.
May angels watch me through the night
and wake me with the morning light.
Amen"
--------------------------------------------------
Hold me with both your hands, lest I should stray;
Fold me in your arms, lest I lose my way.
The night is cold; the road is dim;
My heart, once bold has now lost its vim.
Let me feel your reassuring touch, let the sun shine
Let your ever-wakeful watch surround me.
Let the vermilion elation of your dusk annihilate my trivial woes;
Let my distressed soul bask in the glory of your garden's crimson rose.
Let the molten golden hue of your dawn be smeared on my forehead;
Let me wear your blessing like the Brahmin's sacred thread.
Often my heart is tempted to play a pernicious game,
But, suddenly, I remember your face and lower my head in shame.
My foes are not strong enough to deprive me of your kindness;
Your illuminated presence has cured me of my blindness.
You are my refuge, my harbour on a stormy night;
Against all evils, you infuse in me the strength to fight.
I roll your name on my tongue;
your voice resonates in my ears;
I sing your praise in all my songs;
your touch soothes my fears.
When thunder strikes, the wind howls, I remember this —
I have found the secret path to your tranquil abode of peace.
In this world where hatred is rife and truth has lost its way;
Where recidivist men often revert to strife
and Truth has lost her sway;
Your benison inflames the extinguished flame of hope anew;
Let me hold your hand; let me lean on you.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice indeed! Thank you!

Unknown said...

For a long time I was looking for the meaning of Anaytha sharanma naasthi ... found it in your blog. Many thanks for posting.

Vijay Sarathi
v_sarathi@yahoo.com