Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Why I am ignorant of my real 'I'


The mind is invisible but the body is visible.
Hence our identification and association with the body is so deep
that we tend to see ourselves as body alone. [...]

The 'I' we are associated with, is the illusionary 'I'.
The 'I' we know has more to do with mind or body
but our real 'I' remains obscure.
What an irony that the I doesn't know the 'I'!

Knowing oneself is the first step towards making good rapport
not only with one's own mind and body but also with the other.

This other can be husband, wife, mother, father, brother or anyone.
Once we have understood how our mind functions,
and as we witness the rise and fall of emotions in mind,
we are better equipped not to get carried away with these waves of mind.
-- Anandmurti Gurumaa

Source: http://tow.charityfocus.org/?tid=567

Read also: "Where is I"

No comments: